Monday 30 November 2015

Weeknight Chicken Chow Mein… In Under 25 minutes!


So you forgot to prep over the weekend and all left overs are gone. Have no fear this recipe is guaranteed to be one of your go to meals from now on. It is quick and easy and brimming with healthy vegetables. Not to mention only one pot to wash. Yay!
I found this recipe from Cooking Classy blog and when I made it, I was pleasantly surprised that my two kids and husband loved it. It has since become a family favourite. 

A couple things to note:
There are a variety of chow mein noodles in the groceries. I have used both the Jo-Seing and Champion brands. However my favourite is Roland Hsinchu Rice Noodles, which I found in Peppercorns.

When I make this dish I add precooked shrimp in the last stages of the cooking, simply because my family loves shrimp. I also add some rice wine to the soy sauce mixture to jazz things up.

Ingredients
            1 lb refrigerated chow mein noodles or 8 oz dry thin spaghetti
            1 lb chicken, sliced into 1/2-inch thin strips
            1 cup thinly sliced celery (2 stalks)
            2 Tbsp vegetable oil
            3 cups thinly sliced cabbage
            1 1/2 cups matchstick carrots
            4 green onions, chopped
            1 1/2 tsp minced ginger
            2 cloves garlic, minced
            5 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
            1 Tbsp oyster sauce (or more to taste) *
            2 tsp granulated sugar
            1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
           
            *Please look for a brand that has no MSG.

Directions
           Prepare noodles according to directions on package. In a bowl whisk together soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar and sesame oil, set aside.
           Heat oil in a wok or large and deep non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and celery and cook until chicken is halfway cooked through, about 4 minutes (outsides should be white). Add cabbage, carrots, green onions, and ginger and saute until veggies are tender and chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes, adding in garlic during last minute of cooking. Toss in pasta then pour soy sauce mixture over top and toss to coat. Serve warm.

Let me know how it turns out and what adjustments if any that you made. Happy Eating!


            Recipe source: Cooking Classy

3 comments:

  1. Hey this is great!! I love Chinese food and I love shrimp! And what makes this even better is that it's a one pot and only takes 25mins. Will be cooking this for sure this week. Thanks Arlene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so healthy and delicious! I also like that it's a one pot meal and very quick to prepare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is a really quick delicious meal. Thanks !

    ReplyDelete