Monday 26 October 2015

The Time-Saver and Waist-line Slimmer

Salad in a Jar

Chicken & Spinach Salad Jars 

One of the six "yummy" bottles made

This is a quick and delicious way to save yourself time, to eat healthy and keep calories in check. This recipe is just around 380 calories. I use pint-sized mason jars but any wide mouth glass jar with a lid can be used. Usually one bag of baby spinach gives me 6 jars (doubling up the recipe). I make the salads on a Sunday night so there is something to grab and go six days of the week. See Recipe.


Ingredients for the vinaigrette:
5 teaspoons red wine vinegar 
5 teaspoons whole grain Dijon Mustard
3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
5 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil 

Ingredients for the salad 
8 ounces cooked chicken breast,
2 cups red seedless grapes, halved
1/3 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
1/3 cup shaved Asiago or Parmesan cheese
4 cups of spinach, roughly torn 

To make the vinaigrette, whisk together vinegar, mustard, thyme and pepper. While whisking drizzle in the oil.

Divide the vinaigrette among the 4 jars. Place the chicken over the dressing, then layer remaining ingredients ending with spinach.

Put the lids on the jars and refrigerate for up to 4 days. To serve, pour out onto a plate and stir.

TIP: This recipe can be modified to suit your taste. grapes can be swapped out for apples, cranberries, portugal. Shredded red cabbage and carrots can be used instead. Have fun experimenting.

If you do try this recipe, I would love to hear from you.




6 comments:

  1. Love this idea! It's so simple, convenient and healthy. Will definitely have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I hope you try it. Absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an igenious idea! When I frist saw it I thought that it wouldn't hold enough salad to fill me but let me say, that bottle holds a lot! And it was so yummy! I love the fact that you can make different types of salads and have it in the fridge ready to eat whenever. Great time saver! Definitely going to try this too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure you can do it with turkey breast too I just did a roast so I'll give it a try ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really great timesaver and healthy too ... Brilliant !

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great time-saving idea. Will put to good use the many mason jars I have saved. Will definitely try this recipe for quick and healthy weekday lunches.

    ReplyDelete