Tuesday 17 November 2015

The $46 rubber chicken...


Just kidding! This post is not about an actual rubber chicken (but it might as well be). In fact it is how I managed to stretch a $46 rotisserie chicken over three different meals for a family of four. Read on and find out.This might work for you too.


Usually I find myself scampering around mid-week trying to figure out what to prepare for dinner as the meals prepped and prepared on Sunday are all gone. I decided to pick up a rotisserie chicken (bought at TruValu supermarket, as I personally find it juicier). That night dinner was rotisserie chicken, garlic mashed potatoes and steamed veggies. Meal 1.




After serving everyone their favourite pieces of meat, I still had a good bit leftover, so I took the remaining meat of the bones and chopped it up into small pieces. Put some small chunks aside along with the bones and the rest I made into chicken salad wraps for the kids to take to school the next day and lettuce wraps for my husband and I. Meal 2. 




The saved bones I boiled for stock and used as a base for a tasty chicken noodle soup with some of the chopped pieces of meat and veggies thrown in. This I served with warm bread rolls for dinner the next day. Meal 3. I also had soup left over which I portioned out into containers and refrigerated for an easy grab and go meal.

And that folks is the story of the $46 rubber chicken... Well worth it.

6 comments:

  1. Really like these recipes...quick, easy to prepare and all the meals look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really good tip ! Must try it myself !

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goes to prove that necessity is the mother of resourcefulness. As a society, usually without being aware of it, we can be sinfully wasteful. This is one of many great examples of efficient consumption. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for these yummy recipes. I like the idea of using some of the leftover chicken in a hearty soup!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! This is really innovative, looks delicious (getting very hungry and wouldn't mind tasting all! lol) and is definitely a great way to shave off that grocery bill that I swear increases every week for the same amount of groceries!!! Gotta start making sure I waste less too!!! Thanks, great sharing as always!

    ReplyDelete